Prague offers quite a few possibilities to carry bicycles on public transportation. Bike transportation is free on the metro, trains, ferries and the funicular to Petřin. Bike transportation on trams is very limited.
- Airport Express
- Folding bikes, children’s bicycles and pushbikes
- Parking the bikes
On the metro
Bikes can be transported, free of charge, on the first and last decks of each wagon (except for the first wagon, behind the driver). Doors leading to the deck with the authorization of bike transportation are marked with a green bike picture.
At first glance, escalators can look like an insurmountable obstacle, but it’s actually quite easy: just hold the bike with both hands on the handlebar, and immediately after stepping on, press both brakes. When you go down, step closer to the handlebar. When bikes are allowed in elevators, they are marked with a blue bike picture.
More information at: http://www.dpp.cz/en/with-a-bicycle/metro/
Bicycles can be transported on trams only in the allocated sections and in the direction away from the center, with the exception of working days (Monday to Friday) between 2 p.m. and 7 p.m.
- Anděl – Kotlářka – Sídliště Řepy
- Dejvická – Červený Vrch – Divoká Šárka
- Hradčanská / Brusnice – Malovanka – Vypich – Bílá Hora
- Hradčanská – Vítězné náměstí – Nádraží Podbaba
- Hradčanská – Vítězné náměstí – Dejvická (– Divoká Šárka)
- Hradčanská – Vozovna Střešovice – Petřiny
- Nádraží Braník – Nádraží Modřany (– Sídliště Modřany)
- Nádraží Holešovice – Trojská – Kobylisy – Vozovna Kobylisy / Sídliště Ďáblice
- Nádraží Modřany – Poliklinika Modřany – Sídliště Modřany
- Náměstí Bratří Synků – Vozovna Pankrác
- Náměstí Bratří Synků – Spořilov
- Palmovka – Bulovka – Kobylisy – Vozovna Kobylisy / Sídliště Ďáblice
- Palmovka – Nádraží Libeň – Lehovec
- Palmovka – Nádraží Vysočany – Lehovec
- Palmovka – Ohrada – Spojovací (pouze přímým spojem přes zastávku Krejcárek)
- Smíchovské nádraží – Hlubočepy – Sídliště Barrandov
- Želivského – Strašnická – Na Hroudě – Nádraží Hostivař
- Želivského – Vozovna Strašnice – Ústřední dílny DP
More information: http://www.dpp.cz/en/with-a-bicycle/trams/
Bike transportation is possible on all city trains within Prague (zone P, 0, B), with an over-sized luggage ticket (tram ticket or train ticket, SMS ticket is not valid on trains). When using public transport ticket, the bicycle can be carried for free. There are spaces for bikes marked on the doors, usually on the first and last wagon.
More information at: http://www.dpp.cz/en/with-a-bicycle/railway/
In Prague, the 7 public transport ferries carry bikes free of charge. Ferries in the suburbs of Prague can significantly shorten your route between the two sides where there is no bridge. Ferries operate the following routes:
- P1 Sedlec — Zámky
- P2 V Podbabě — Podhoří
- P3 Lihovar — Veslařský ostrov
- P4 Kazín – Černošice Mokropsy
- P5 Císařská louka — Výtoň – Náplavka Smíchov
- P6 Lahovičky – Nádraží Modřany
- P7 Pražská tržnice – Štvanice – Karlín-Rohanský ostrov
- P8 Troja – Císařský ostrov
Line P1 and P2 operate the whole year whereas P3, P4, P5, P6, P7 and P8 run in summer season only. You can use a regular tram ticket or ordinary transfer card. More information can be found here.
On the funicular
The funicular to Petřin can transport two bikes on a dedicated platform but only with the agreement of the operator.
Transporting bicycles on buses is not possible.
Nonetheless, bikes can be transported on the bus line 147, from Dejvická to Suchdol. This is a test operation launched in May 2016. The bike is carried in special rack at the rear of the bus. One bus can carry max. 6 bicycles. It’s permitted to load bikes at stops Dejvická (connection to metro) and V Podbabě (connection to routes A1 and A2 via ferry line P2). Unloading is possible in Suchdol at stops Internacionální and Výhledy. Transportation is only allowed upward to Suchdol. No extra fee.
More information: http://www.dpp.cz/en/with-a-bicycle/buses/
In the Airport Express bus (AE)
The only bus line allowing the transport of bicycles is the special Airport Express bus service connecting the airport Vaclav Havel to the Railway Main Station (Hlavní Nádraží). Carrying bikes requires a special fare, paid when boarding. But bicycles packed for air transport are carried free of charge.
Folding bikes, children’s bicycles and pushbikes
Since September 2013, folding bikes and scooters, children’s bikes (up to 24″) and push bikes can be transported to all means of PID (including buses) , even if dimension exceeds the maximum luggage size. Transportation is 16 CZK (with a special ticket), but for holders of annual tickets, the transportation is free of charge.
Cyclo-bus and cyclo-train
The PID Recreational Cycle-Bus Line operates weekends from April to early October. The line starts at Dobrichovice station (S7) – Mníšek pod Brdy – Kytín.
The seasonal Cycle-train is open from late March to late October weekends : Masarykovo Station – Dejvice – Hostivice – Středokluky – Podlešín – Salty – Zlonice.
Parking the bikes
Many subway and train stations have bicycle parking racks (for a specific station, look at our map). Long-term parking at the stand is possible but requires an unattractive bike. Guarded bicycle parking is available in following car parks P+R:
- Černý Most (B)
- Rajská Zahrada (B)
- Nové Butovice (B)
- Zličín (B)
- Letňany (C)
- Ládví (C)
- Nádraží Holešovice (C)
- Opatov (C)
- Depo Hostivař (A)
- Skalka (A)
- Běchovice Nádraží (train)
- Radotín Nádraží (train)
- At the main train station (Hlavní nádraží) and the Masaryk train station (Masarykovo nádraží) there are commercial luggage storage facilities that accept bikes although the price is pretty steep.